Chatham Wind Farm
In June 2011, Kruger Energy opened the Kruger Energy Chatham (KEC) Wind Farm in the Ontario municipality of Chatham-Kent. This is the second wind farm that Kruger Energy built and manages in this municipality located on the shores of Lake Erie. Just like the Kruger Energy Port Alma (KEPA) Wind Farm, the Kruger Energy Chatham (KEC) Wind Farm consists of 44 wind turbines that generate enough electricity to power some 30,000 households in Ontario.
The 99.4-MW wind farm was built by and is managed by Kruger. The energy is sold to the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) under 20-year supply contracts.
- Installed Capacity: 99.4 MW
- Production: About 300 GWh annually
- Wind Farm Area: About 305 km2
- Location: In the former townships of Romney, East Tilbury and Raleigh in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, Ontario
- 44 Siemens SWT-2.3-93/101 Wind Turbines
- Three composite rotor blades
- Blade Diameter: 101 metres
- 80-metre hub height
- 13 – 14 rpm rotor speed
- Pad-mounted transformers
- Under and above ground collector systems
- Transformer sub-station
- Interconnection sub-station
Prior to the opening, KEPA completed an environmental screening of the Port Alma Wind Farm and issued a “Notice of Completion”.
- Notice of completion
Environmental Screening Report
- Project Summary
- Project Description
- Scope of the Assessment
- Permits and Approvals
- Stakeholder Consultation
- Environmental Features Screening
- Project Specific Mitigation
- Cumulative Effects
- Project Follow-Up Measures and Monitoring
- Summary and Conclusions
- Signatures of Environmental Professionals
The Chatham Wind Farm is more than just electricity. It’s an investment of almost $300 million, 44 wind turbines, 60 temporary direct jobs, a dozen permanent jobs, as well as additional income for local businesses and long-term tax revenue for the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.
“We are very pleased to have created jobs and a positive economic impact for the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, which has been so welcoming from the outset.”
M. Jean Roy, Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Kruger Energy,
at the official opening of the Chatham Wind Farm.